Saturday, February 26, 2011

Andorra

When I read the wikipedia entry on the people of Andorra I discovered they have the second highest life expectancy in the world (depending on which list you look at). Then I remembered seeing a documentary where life expectancy was linked to low calorie diet - the Okinawa diet.  Now having cooked a "traditional" dish from Andorra, I am pretty sure low calorie diet has nothing to do with the Andorrans tendency to live long and prosper. Reading on I discover that the only commercial crop grown in Andorra is tobacco, and their main exports are cigarettes and cigars. They also have duty free and tax free status and receive over 10 million visitors annually (pretty good for a country of 84,000). People are attracted not only by the beautiful scenery and resorts, but no doubt the duty free booze and cigs get a few Pommy chavs through the airport.

So I put two and two together: the Andorrans don't restrict their diet in order to encourage longevity, they simply flog off cheap booze and smokes to the rest of the world which brings down the average life expectancy of everyone else. Genius!
Now to the food...
Trinxat de la Cerdanya

Ingredients


Salt
About 1kg Savoy cabbage, tough outer leaves discarded
1kg Russet potatoes, peeled
12 thick slices of meaty bacon
3 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
1 Clove garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions


Boil the cabbage and potato in separate pots until well done and very tender. Mash both ingredients together with a potato masher: season to taste with salt, and set aside.

Fry garlic, in olive oil until soft then add oil and garlic to cabbage mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined, but still a bit chunky.





Fry large patties of mixture (about 3 patties for the mixture) until browned on both sides, and serve with 2 slices of bacon.

So I am not sure whether even the Andorrans would serve this up as a main meal at dinner time. To me it is more of a winter breakfast a la bubble & squeak. I served it with a 'salad' of onions and olives but I wouldn't recommend doing that - perhaps a simple rocket and feta salad or something would have been better. Anyway as it was only my dad and myself eating we were more than satisfied.
In a frying pan, lightly brown bacon on both sides, drain on kitchen roll and set aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment