Thursday, March 3, 2011

Angola

I would have to say that Southern Central Africa is the region of the world that I know the least about, so straight to Wikipedia! Coincidentaly, when I looked at the same list of life expectancy that I refered to in my previous post, Angola came in second last. I hope the Angolans don't take my comments to heart and blame the Andorrans for their high mortality rate - I would feel really guilty if I sullied the no doubt strong relationship between the two countries. I beleive it may instead be due to the fact that many Angolans are deficient in Niacin (it's true - look it up). I would suggest a bowl of Nutri-grain might do the trick but, as I discovered, the Angolans know how to cook.

The following dish was a real surprise hit. My wife Sar still say's she is not a fan of seafood even though since meeting her she now eats oysters, bugs, prawns, calamari, salmon, tuna sashimi, mussels, scallops. I don't even think there is any seafood left that she won't eat; but still I feel guilty having it as a main meal. I snuck this one through when she was away for the night, and I cooked instead for Mum and Dad. My point is that you might notice seafood being under represented as the countries go by, but thankfully Angola got lucky.

Camarao Grelhado com Molho Cru with Angolan Cabbage Salad


Ingredients


1/2 kg Green prawns
2 Cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup Spring onions, chopped
1 tsp Ground cumin
1/4 tsp Salt
4 tbsp Wine vinegar
4 tbsp Water

Directions

Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients (except prawns of course) and grind into a paste. Put the prawns on the skewers and brush with sauce. Grill until done (they should lose their translucent color), about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve with extra sauce on the side.

Cabbage Salad

1 Small cabbage, shredded
1 425g Can sweet corn, drained
1 cup Dill, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Olive oil

Directions 
Mix shredded cabbage, sugar, and half the salt in a bowl and press the juices out. Leave to rest for half an hour, so that cabbage lets juices out.


Add corn, chopped dill, oil and remaining salt and mix (you could do without the extra salt if preferred).



Too easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment