Monday, February 21, 2011

Algeria

I am glad that this foodyssey does not require me to travel to each country. Don't get me wrong, I love to travel and if money and time allowed I would LOVE to attempt the journey for real; but have you seen what is going on in the Middle East and Northern Africa? Apparently there is a food crisis going on (among many other factors like oppression of civil liberties) however thankfully the local supermarket was able to supply all the ingredients I needed (thanks Masterfoods for doing the hard work for me).

I was pretty pumped for my first foray into Africa. When I think of North African food I think of fragrant spice markets, couscous and dates. I tried to find a recipe that brought these exotic imaginings to life but in this instance I fell short of the mark. The dish is a decent meal and pretty easy but it just didn't live up to my lofty expectations, I think I tried to hard to go healthy on this one. I will endeavour to make amends when I get to Egypt.

Algeria - Chicken Couscous

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Medium onion -- chopped
2 Cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon cumin
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Can diced tomato
2 Medium carrots -- chopped
2 Stalks celery -- chopped
1 Cup cauliflower -- chopped
1 Medium red capsicum -- chopped
1 Medium turnip
1 Cup chicken stock
500 g Chicken breast (cut into strips)
1 Medium zucchini
3 Tablespoons Parsley

Directions

Saute garlic and onion in oil in a large saucepan.

Combine cumin, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and parsley and stir in.

Add tomatoes, carrots, clelry, cauliflower, capsicum, turnip and broth (could probably mix and match veggies depending on availability).

Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken and zucchini and simmer for 10 more minutes (make sure chicken is cooked).

Stir through couscous and serve.

Couscous

Ingredients
1 1/2 Cup couscous
2 3/4 Cups chicken stock
1/4 Teaspoon salt

Directions

Bring stock to boil in a saucepan. Add salt and stir.

Mix couscous and stock together in a bowl. Cover with a tea towel and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.

Fluff with a fork (should be light and fluffy)


No comments:

Post a Comment